Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Saya Snow Pea Crisps, With a Secret Ingredient...

I watch a lot of Food Network. Like, a lot. On any given night, it's either Food Network, Travel Channel (because Man vs. Food or Bizarre Foods is on), or Keeping Up With the Kardashians (I love to hate them). And though Good Eats (remember when Alton Brown wasn't a total jerk?) will always hold a special place in my heart, Iron Chef has wiggled its way in, too. 

The chef-testants use the secret ingredients (anything from milk to goji berries to lobster) in such creative ways, making absolutely mouth-watering entrees and desserts while I sit at home eating leftover mac n' cheese. 

It seems the people over at Saya snack company gave their cooks a secret ingredient, too. And they put it into this:


Saya Snow Pea Crisps (A whopping 170g of them!)

Snow Pea Crisps. Baked snow peas, though they no longer look at all like snow peas. Or feel like snow peas. Or, frankly, taste like snow peas. Their taste and texture is very similar to Veggie Straws, though they crumble a bit more in the mouth, which isn't exactly unpleasant, but I wouldn't put it in the press release.

They could do with a bit more salt, as well. It seems to be really all or nothing here at the Studio; either we're drowning in the Dead Sea or in bland land. I got one tiny grain of salt on my Crisp and it did elevate my experience, slightly. But generally the snack is...blah. Kinda like unbuttered popcorn. You'll eat it because you're bored. 

And the secret ingredient? There is tunafish extract in this. I'm not kidding. Why? I have no clue. You don't taste it. It doesn't add protein or anything useful (like salinity). It just pushes vegan clientele away. 

Rating: 3. Totally not worth the calories or dead fish, but they're there when you're bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment